Working within Confined Spaces is extremely dangerous and correct usage of Safety Equipment and Procedures should be observed at all times.
This OHS Procedure comes ready to use and is editable for any specific site risks. The Procedure comes in MS Word format for ease of editing and printing.
While Working In Confined Spaces
- Maintain communication with other fellow workers and the stand-by person
- Alert the stand-by person of any hazards
- Understand the rescue and work procedures prior to entrance
- Exit the confined space quickly when required
Additional Safety Notes
Before Entering Confined Spaces Consider
- Are there any unusual or specific hazards associated with the confined space work, such as other workers or working with heat (welding)?
- Are there any site occupancy restrictions and conditions, including access and egress, work schedules and emergency management arrangements, including emergency communication and evacuation plans?
- Prior to any work-taking place in the confined space, the space must be naturally ventilated for a minimum period of ten minutes. If satisfactory atmospheric levels are not obtained then forced ventilation must be used until satisfactory gas test results are achieved.
- Prior to any entry taking place, the atmosphere of the confined space must be tested to comply with the following.
- Oxygen > 19.5% by volume and < 23.5% by volume
- Flammable gas < 5% by volume
- Hydrogen Sulphide < 10 ppm
- Carbon Monoxide < 30 ppm
- Confined space signage and barricading is applied at the entry site prior to entering
The Safety Procedure includes:
- Confined Spaces Qualifications
- Types of Confined Spaces
- OHS Safety Equipment
- OHS Risk Assessment
- Air Quality Standards
- Standby Person
- Emergency Procedures
- 4 Page Complete Procedure
- MS Word Format
- Ready To Use
- Version 4.0
< < Back